Dr. Discussion Guide for Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy (ICP)
If you are unsure what to ask your doctor or healthcare provider, download the “Doctor Discussion Guide” to guide you in your possible diagnosis. Please note that since Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy is so rare, your healthcare provider may not be knowledgeable about the condition. Read more about the diagnosis of ICP before your appointment as well. Need to find a doctor in your area?
Answer the following questions and bring this printout with you to your appointment to help discuss your concerns regarding ICP:
1. Describe your itching in detail
2. Is there a rash associated with your itching? Yes / No
3. If yes, when did the rash appear? Before / After
4. Do you have any of these other possible symptoms of ICP? (these symptoms affect a minority of patients)
- Pale (clay colored) stool
- Loss of appetite/nausea
- Dark urine despite adequate hydration
- Right Upper Quadrant pain
5. Does your itching disturb your sleep? Yes / No
6. What, if anything, have you done to relieve itching symptoms? Did these methods help?
Blood Tests to request from your Healhcare provider:
- Total Bile acids (retest if negative and remain itchy)
- Liver enzymes
Questions to ask your Healthcare provider:
- Will you prescribe Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) if I am positive for ICP?
- When will I deliver my baby if I am positive for ICP?
- What can I do to help relieve itching?
- Can I have a consult with a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist if I am positive for ICP?